Earth Wind & Tyre
- When: June 10, 2017
- What: Road cycling (this is a two day event)
- Where: Durham to Edinburgh, UK
- Distance: 200 miles
- Registration fee: £125
- Minimum fundraising pledge: £500 (per participant)
The Wind Farm Cycle Challenge
2 Days | 10 Wind Farms | 200 Miles
Earth Wind & Tyre is a 200-mile wind-themed cycle challenge from Durham to Edinburgh. Now in its third year, this two-day event brings together teams and individuals from across the renewable energy industry and beyond to raise funds for our work.
In celebration of clean energy, the route passes by 10 iconic wind farms as it winds its way up from Durham to Edinburgh. With leg-testing climbs and euphoric views, it’s a truly spectacular event for all involved.
For a flavour of what to expect, take a look at the following video from our 2016 event:
Video shot and produced by Tom Francome.
This is a boutique event with a strictly limited capacity. We have 80 places available and these will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. You can sign up as an individual or as a team (including a relay team).
To secure your place in our 2017 event:
- Fill in the registration form and send it to email@example.com
- Pay the registration fee (payment options are included in the registration form, or use the button below)
“I love the idea that the efforts that we can put in, in one weekend here, can make a significant difference in other people’s lives.” – Don Mackay, 2016 Participant
Your registration fee of £125 includes:
- An event cycling jersey, cycling cap and water bottle
- Overnight accommodation in Kielder Water (on Saturday 10 June), including dinner, breakfast and 2 free drinks at the bar
- Well-stocked food stops along the route (approx. every 20 miles)
- Full mechanical support along a marked route, a broom wagon and well-equipped support team (including first-aiders)
- Finisher’s medal
- Food and drinks at our post-event reception in Edinburgh
We also offer the following optional extras (these fees are in addition to the event registration fee):
- Accommodation in Durham on Friday 9 June (N.B. the accommodation closest to the start line is now fully booked. Any subsequent requests for accommodation will be booked into the Premier Inn Durham East, located approx. 5.5 miles from the start. Participants will need to make their own way to the start on Saturday morning) – £60
- Accommodation in Edinburgh on Sunday 11 June (the hotel is located within walking distance of the finish line and reception venue) – £65
- Return transport for you and your bike back to Durham on Sunday 11 June (departing from Edinburgh at approx. 8:30pm – N.B. we have a limited number of places available) – £35
Please indicate on your registration form if you would like to take advantage of one or more of these optional extras.
“The other cyclists and Renewable World support team were so enthusiastic and friendly that it really helped to keep me going.” – Caroline Gutridge, 2016 Participant
Day 1: East Rainton to Kielder Water, total distance 111.6 miles (179.6 km), total ascent 8,138 ft. (2,480 metres).
Day 2: Kielder Water to Edinburgh, total distance 103.9 miles (167.2 km), total ascent 5,825 ft. (1,775 metres).
You can also check out the route plotted on Ride with GPS.
If you have any questions or would like any further information about the event, contact our Events Team or download the event Information Pack.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | T: 01273 234 801
Sponsor this event
Earth Wind & Tyre could not happen without the support offered by our generous sponsors.
If you are interested in sponsoring our 2017 event, visit our dedicated sponsorship page to find out more. Alternatively pick up the phone and call us for an informal chat on: 01273 234 801. Or drop our UK Events and Fundraising Officer, Emily Jesshope, an email: email@example.com.
Our generous 2017 sponsors
We’d like to say a special thank you to this year’s sponsors.
Food Stop Sponsors
All photos courtesy of Shahid Chohan Photography.