Earth Wind & Tyre
- When: June 9, 2018
- What: Road cycling (this is a two-day event)
- Where: Durham to Edinburgh, UK
- Distance: 216 miles
- Registration fee: £125
- Minimum fundraising pledge: £500 (per participant)
2 Days, 10 Wind Farms, 216 Miles
Earth Wind & Tyre is a two-day, 216-mile, wind-themed cycle challenge. Now in its fourth year, this event brings together teams and individuals from across the renewable energy industry and beyond to raise funds for our work.
In celebration of clean energy, the route passes by 10 iconic wind farms as it winds its way up from Durham to Edinburgh. With leg-testing climbs and euphoric views, it’s a truly spectacular event for all involved.
Cycling for change
Earth Wind & Tyre is the perfect opportunity for you to test your cycling ability, whilst at the same time having a positive impact on other people’s lives. Every penny that you raise while taking part in our cycle challenge will help change the lives of those living in some of the poorest communities in the world; providing them with a clean and sustainable source of energy to light homes, pump clean water, and power small businesses.
This is a boutique event with a strictly limited capacity. We have 80 places available and these will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. You can sign up as an individual or as a team (including a relay team).
To secure your place in our 2018 event:
- Fill in the Registration Form and send it to [email protected]
- Pay the registration fee (payment options are included in the registration form, or use the button below)
“I love the idea that the efforts that we can put in, in one weekend here, can make a significant difference in other people’s lives.” – Don Mackay, 2017 Participant
Your registration fee of £125 includes:
- An event cycling jersey
- Overnight accommodation at Hawkhirst Scout Activity Centre on Kielder Water (on Saturday 9 June), including dinner, breakfast and 2 free drinks at the bar
- Well-stocked food stops along the route (approx. every 20 miles)
- Full mechanical support along a marked route, a broom wagon and well-equipped support team (including first-aiders)
- A finisher’s medal
- Food and drinks at our post-event reception in Edinburgh
We also offer the following optional extras (these fees are in addition to the event registration fee):
- Accommodation in Durham on Friday 8 June (at the Highfield or Chilton Hotels, both are located less than 2 miles from the start) – £60
- Accommodation in Edinburgh on Sunday 10 June (at the Travelodge Edinburgh Central, located within walking distance of the finish line and reception venue) – £65
- Return transport for you and your bike back to Durham on Sunday 10 June (departing from Edinburgh at approx. 8:30pm – N.B. we have a limited number of places available) – £35
Please indicate on your registration form if you would like to take advantage of one or more of these optional extras. You can also pay for them using the registration fee button above.
“The other cyclists and Renewable World support team were so enthusiastic and friendly that it really helped to keep me going.” – Caroline Gutridge, 2016 Participant
- Day 1: East Rainton to Kielder Water, total distance 111.6 miles (179.6 km), total ascent 8,138 ft. (2,480 metres)
- Day 2: Kielder Water to Edinburgh, total distance 104.4 miles (167.2 km), total ascent 5,825 ft. (1,775 metres)
If you have any questions or would like any further information about the event, contact our Events Team or download the event Information Pack.
E: [email protected] | T: 01273 234 801
Sponsor this event
Earth Wind & Tyre could not happen without the support offered by our generous Corporate Sponsors.
If you are interested in sponsoring our 2018 event, visit our dedicated Corporate Sponsorship Page to find out more. Alternatively pick up the phone and call us for an informal chat on: 01273 234 801. Or drop our UK Events and Fundraising Officer, Emily Jesshope, an email: [email protected].
Our generous 2018 sponsors
We’d like to say a special thank you to this year’s sponsors.
Food Stop Sponsors
All photos courtesy of Shahid Chohan Photography.