Access to affordable and reliable energy services is critical in empowering energy-poor people to lift themselves out of poverty.
Renewable World tackles poverty in developing countries by enabling the provision of affordable renewable energy systems for energy-poor communities. We work through partners to provide renewable energy services to the energy poor where financial or geographical barriers prevent public or private sector solutions being effective.
Can you imagine running your business or even living day to day without power? 1.4 billion people worldwide have no access to energy. Pollution from fuel used for lighting and heating and lack of access to clean water are both major killers. Renewable World works to address these issues by providing affordable and sustainable renewable energy services to those living in energy poverty.
Our projects provide clean energy to improve crop yields, enable communication and trade and support the growth of new businesses. Education is improved as children can study in the evenings, and schools can open later for adult education. Affordable energy improves health through the use of clean lighting and cooking sources, and because clean water can be pumped direct to households. A sustainable supply of energy means that healthcare is more accessible because clinics can keep vaccines, HIV tests and snakebite anti-venom in fridges.
Renewable World, formally known as the Koru Foundation, was set up in 2007 with support from individuals within the Renewable Energy Industry to act as the link between the European Renewable Energy sector and energy poor communities who are most vulnerable to climate change.
A world where renewable energy is readily accessible to all, helping to end extreme poverty and reduce climate change.
We will lead in developing and deploying effective ways of bringing renewable energy at scale to poor communities, empowering them to achieve sustainable and resilient livelihoods.
Empowering energy-poor communities to develop sustainable livelihoods through the provision of renewable energy systems.
Our shared values define us and hold us together as a team enabling the impossible to happen.
- Sustainable: at the heart of how we work is the core of sustainability in technology, project implementation and our own organisation.
- Collaborative: we work together as one team with our partners and supporters to deliver change at community levels.
- Transformative: our work makes a real and tangible difference to people’s lives and our global impact on the planet.
- Passionate: about our planet, what we do, where we work and who we work with.
- Enterprising: We support partners and beneficiaries to be innovative in their use of energy, building enterprises which will create income opportunities, stimulate trade and increase their financial stability.
To use affordable, reliable and renewable energy technology at the community and individual level to:
- Improve health through the use of clean lighting and cooking solutions and the provision of clean water.
- Increase hours spent in education through the reduction of time spent by children, particularly girls, collecting water and firewood for cooking and household use.
- Increase quality of education through access to renewable energy to light and power schools and other centres of learning/education.
- Increase household income through access to energy that gives better opportunities for job and micro-enterprise development.
- Increase economic resilience of household income through having a reliable, cheap and clean source of energy.
- To reduce carbon emissions and ensure sustainable use of natural resources through reduction of use of harmful and unsustainable energy sources such as firewood, kerosene, etc.