Work With Us
We are always keen to work with like minded people who share our passion for sustainable development. Though we don’t often have staff vacancies there are occasionally new roles to fill, any positions we have available will be advertised below.
Consultancy Assignment: INGO Strategy and Business Plan Review; development into sub-plans and a communication plan
Reporting To: Chief Operating Officer (UK)
Location: Brighton for one or two ays (but home based)
Salary: £2,800 fixed price contract
Duration: 7 to 14 days
Application Deadline: 24/07/2017
How to Apply: [email protected]
Over the last year Renewable World has been revising our organisational strategy – including our programmatic and fundraising strategy – and developing a five-year business plan. The strategy has been agreed at the Board level and a high-level business plan has started to drafted which has been discussed principally at Board and senior manager level but is yet to be fully rolled out within the global team. Given the current changes in the international development sector and funding opportunities, we feel it would be prudent to seek expert advice to review and comment on the strategy and draft business plan before it is finalised and deployed across the organisation. We therefore would like to engage a consultant with specific expertise in supporting strategy and business plan development for small, international development organisations, for this task.
First, the consultant would carry out a detailed review our existing business plan and organisational strategy, critiquing it against targets and objectives met to date. In addition, the consultant would review the business plan and forecasting model in the context of current global changes in funding for international development, making recommendations. Through a collaborative process, we would review recommendations, making revisions accordingly.
Second, the consultant would help to articulate the organisational strategy for the global team into specific fundraising and programme strategies, ensuring recommendations from the global strategy are fed through.
Third, support the clear messaging of the organisational 5-year strategy and business plan for internal and external contexts.
The consultant will work directly with our Chief Operating Officer who is leading the business plan writing process. Strategic discussions will include the Senior Management Team, key members of the Board of Trustees, and our regional programme managers.
Recruitment & Budget
The budget given below is illustrative of the number of days we expect to be needed to complete the work and indicative of the day rate we feel appropriate; however, this may vary based on the consultant’s proposal. The total consultant budget is £2,800 and a minimum of seven working days is expected will not vary and will be clearly agreed with the consultant.
Review & critique of draft Business Plan & Strategy: min 2 days
Recommendations & revisions to above: min 1 day
Development of fundraising & programme strategies: 2 days
Organisational Strategy Messaging: 2 days
Please note this work is grant funded.
A full proposal must be sent.Consultants will need to demonstrate a track record in international development organisations and strategic planning. Proposals should be submitted by 24th July. Work to be completed and draft written report/output submitted by 31st August.
Payment will be made within 30 days based on completion of work stages and submitted invoices.
Regional Financial and Administration Manager (South Asia)
Reporting To: Chief Operating Officer (UK) & Regional Business Development and Programme Manager (Nepal)
Duration: Two years
Application Deadline: 04/06/2017
How to Apply: Please send CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Location: Kathmandu and in-country travel in Nepal, quarterly trip to Bangladesh,one annual trip to the UK or East Africa
Contract period: 24 months fixed term (renewal on performance)
Responsible to: Chief Operating Officer (C.O.O. – UK)and SA Business Development & Regional Manager
Responsible for: Regional operational and financial management and reporting
- To manage and report of the regional financial performance of the South Asia office and the regional programme and its projects.
- To support the RW UK and South Asia regional team in all financial and administration aspects relating to the region.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support the C.O.O. (responsible for Finance) and Regional Programme & Business Development Manager to:
- Report the regional financial performance of the South Asia office
- Report by account code a monthly P&L and YTD P&L and monthly balance sheet with variance analysis from budget.
- Allocate the restricted expenditure to project funds and transfer to the requisite projects and donors.
- Prepare a quarterly forecast of the financial years regional operational budget and variance analysis.
- Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions following Renewable World financial policy and guidelines.
- Assist in supporting information for the annual statutory audits and compliance audits.
- Payment processing for administrative and projects in accordance with policies and payment authorities.
- Financial management – perform and submit for review monthly operational petty cash and bank reconciliations.
- Update the intra-company funding account with the RWUK office.
- Monitor global funds available for South Asia projects.
- Manage donor financial reporting, including income, debt and deferred income accurately and timely in accordance with each donors’ requirements.
- Update financial & scope of work on the monthly basis.
Project financial management
- Manage the project financials in co-operation with the UK Financial Controller, Grants Manager,Project Managers and implementing partner financial controllers.
- Project accounting using the Renewable World financial toolkit including the Finance and Scope of Works forpartner claims, issue of Purchase Orders, Invoices,update and reconcile actual expenditure andcash movements, in order to arrive at committed project costs and forecasts costs to complete.
- Prepare regional project financial reporting on a monthly basis at project and implementing partner level with project managers and consolidate to regional level for UK team review.
- Prepare and issue Renewable World quarterly recovery purchase orders and invoices and accounting for these regionally.
- Prepare a quarterly forecast of project income, spend and variance analysis at project and partner level against project budget for the remaining duration of the project.
- Prepare a consolidated annual forecast of project income, recoveries and partner expenditure.
- Liaising with the UK team and regional programme managers to ensure all financial reports are submitted accurately and on time to donors with sufficient variance analysis and context to enable transparency.
- Ensure project donor audits are organised and conducted to ensure compliance.
- Strengthen our project financial systems and processes where appropriate.
- Working with external Auditors from a statutory and project/donor perspective and implement recommendations arising.
Project proposal development
- Work with potential donors and proposed implementing partners on the financial aspects of project proposals.
- Prepare a proposed financial commencement budget for project proposals considering the donor requirements.
Administration, operational, statutory requirement and Day to day running of the office and resource management
- Communication and reporting –facilitating project monthly financial review meetings, communicating with local partners and stakeholders.
- Documentation – Monthly update of all the project accounting documents and project paperwork, time sheet.
- Regional payroll management.
- Supporting in procurement (quotation collection & compilation)
- Lodging and managing all aspects of tax compliance and reporting to local authorities.
- Setting up organizational bank account and its operation.
- Registration of new entities.
- Financial reporting to Social Welfare Council (SWC) and other line agencies.
- Prepare financial reporting for CPAC and DPAC meetings.
- Provide necessary support to international volunteers.
- Supervise and manage finance assistant
- Attend regular supervision and take active initiation in personal professional development
- Tasks as appropriate and as agreed with the Chief Operating Officer or Regional Programme& Business Development Manager.
- Preparation and submission of financial matters relating to government line ministries (Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare, Ministry of Finance) requirement and report
Essential competency and experience requirements
- Part or fully Qualified accountant (e.g. one of: ACA, CIMA, CPA, ACCA)
- Educated to Masters degree level in relevant discipline
- Strong financial analytical and problem solving skills
- Functional knowledge of financial accounting systems (including Quick Books) and advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Understanding of project accounting
- Must be flexible, adaptable, and quick to learn in our fast-paced dynamic environment (arising out of the new projects and relationships)
- Keen attention to accounting detail and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Ability to prioritise and deliver results on time
- Effective communicator (including excellent written and verbal English) as demonstrated on financial and narrative reporting, and verbal skills
- Office management, administration & procurement skills
DESIRABLE COMPETENCY AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Masters degree in relevant discipline
- Experience of donor fund (grant) accounting
- Relevant international NGO and major donor (e.g. EU/DFID/USAID) experience of 5 years
- Infrastructure (e.g. Energy Systems) economic and financial analysis experience
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Remuneration and Benefits: As per the rules and regulation of Renewable World
Hours of Work: Full time (Monday to Friday, 7.5 hrs per day, excluding lunch hour)
Annual Leave: 20 Days plus 12 national holidays
Place of work: South Asia Office: Bakhundole, Lalitpur, Nepal
Term: 2 years, starting 1st July 2017
Interested candidates are requested to send their application with updated CV, PP size photographs along with a covering letter via email at email@example.com within 4th June 2017.
South Asia Business Development and Programme Manager
Reporting To: Chief Operating Officer (UK)
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
How to Apply: Please send a detailed CV and a cover letter to [email protected]
Renewable World is a UK led global NGO that tackles poverty through the provision of affordable renewable energy systems through innovative business models to communities in South Asia, East Africa and Central America. By connecting remote communities with clean energy technology, and training them to use it productively, our projects raise people’s incomes, keep their homes smoke-free, create time for education and ultimately help power people out of poverty Our global goal is to enable 100,000 out of poverty within five years through the delivery of our renewable energy programme.
Renewable World are looking for a passionate development professional/leader, to lead our pioneering South Asia programme to scale within Nepal, Bangladesh and beyond. This role will be key to taking the programme to the next level, building the programme pipeline through strategic partnerships and aligned funding opportunities, and strengthening core business models already being delivered. The South Asia programme is targeted to directly impact 50,000 or more beneficiaries through our programme in the next four years. This role takes on two core responsibilities. First, to lead on the business development and the strategic direction of the programme. Developing the programme pipeline within our current project areas of Nepal and Bangladesh while building on Renewable World’s core strengths of renewable energy technology delivery and effective energy business models. Second, to manage the South Asia regional office, overseeing the delivery of the existing programme pipeline including consultancy and consortia projects, ensuring regional teams achieve the organisation’s vision and goal.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead on programmatic business development, building partnerships with aligned organisations to form consortia to grow the programme pipeline in Nepal and Bangladesh;
- Maintain the quality of programme delivery and build on the core strengths of business model development and sustainability;
- To utilise the RW network in the regions to identify fundraising opportunities (national and international), leverage skills expertise and resources and secure funding in partnership with the Fundraising Manager;
- To collaborate as part of the global Renewable World network, sharing learning to refine, develop and enhance approaches to delivering effective sustainable development initiatives through renewable energy;
- Master’s degree in relevant field;
- Minimum 5 years’ prior experience working at a senior level within the development sector, ideally within an INGO; or a relevant social enterprise
- Experience in developing programme concepts, fundraising through large bi-lateral funding bids, and developing strategic partnerships;
- Well-developed understanding of project management cycle including proposal development, implementation and monitoring;
- 3 years or more experience of working in Nepal or Bangladesh;
- Fluency in oral and written English;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to facilitate and design trainings and workshops; ability to represent RW in high-level meetings with donors, and government officials;
- Willingness to travel and spend a minimum of 20% of time in the field;
Full job description can be downloaded below
Fundraising Events & Communications Intern
Reporting To: UK Events and Fundraising Officer
Salary: Unpaid voluntary position; however we do offer a daily stipend of £10
Duration: Minimum 2 days per week for a 3 month minimum commitment
Application Deadline: 30/04/2017
How to Apply: Email your CV and cover letter to: [email protected]
We are currently looking to recruit a committed, enthusiastic and reliable Fundraising Events & Communications Intern to help manage our challenge event portfolio, including our flagship cycling event – Earth Wind & Tyre.
Working from our central Brighton office, we ask for a regular commitment of at least 2 days per week for a minimum period of 3 months. Our standard working hours are 9am – 5.30pm, though we can be flexible to suit. This position is unpaid; however we do offer a daily stipend of £10.
This position will provide the successful candidate with valuable on-the-job experience in the fields of fundraising, event management, communications, as well experience of working in a small international NGO and exposure to the renewable energy industry.
Your main areas of responsibility will include:
- Challenge events: helping to promote and recruit participants for our portfolio of challenge events. Supporting our fundraisers to reach their fundraising targets.
- Comms and PR: assist with event-related communications and publicity (including: e-marketing, social media content, web content and press releases), ensuring that our events and fundraisers are promoted across a range of communication channels.
- Earth Wind & Tyre: support the organisation, promotion and logistics of our flagship challenge event. This will include the recruitment of and ongoing communication with event participants, coordinating event sponsor package benefits, organise the logistics of the event and coordinate the design and procurement of the event merchandise.
- Support during Earth Wind & Tyre: be part of the event support team on 10-11 June, offering logistical support during the challenge.
- Data entry: helping to ensure our supporter database is kept up-to-date.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, hardworking individual who can work independently and is willing to contribute new ideas.
- An interest in events, fundraising and charity communications
- Must be available to work as part of the event support team for Earth Wind & Tyre (9-11 June 2017 inclusive)
- Determination to make our portfolio of challenge events a success
- Good customer service skills, particularly on the telephone
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- IT literate, competency in using Microsoft packages
- The ability to work well as part of a team but also on your own initiative
- Have a full driving licence and be willing to drive a support vehicle during Earth Wind & Tyre
- Experience of using WordPress, Photoshop, Publisher, Salesforce and Mailchimp
Apply for this role
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your availability and why you think you’re suited to the role.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible, so applications will be dealt with and assessed on a rolling basis, as they are received.