Earth Wind & Tyre
- When: June 8, 2019
- What: A two-day road cycling event
- Where: Durham to Edinburgh, UK
- Distance: 216 miles (you can choose to cycle the whole route or form a relay team)
- Registration fee: £125
- Minimum fundraising pledge: £500 (per participant)
2 Days, 11 Wind Farms, 216 Miles
Earth Wind & Tyre is a two-day, 216-mile, wind-themed cycle challenge. Now in its fifth year, this event brings together teams and individuals from across the renewable energy industry and beyond to raise funds for our work.
In celebration of clean energy, the route passes by 11 iconic wind farms as it winds its way up from Durham to Edinburgh. With leg-testing climbs and euphoric views, it’s a truly spectacular event for all involved.
Cycling for change
Earth Wind & Tyre is the perfect opportunity for you to test your cycling ability, whilst at the same time having a positive impact on other people’s lives. Every penny that you raise while taking part in our cycle challenge will help change the lives of those living in some of the poorest communities in the world; providing them with a clean and sustainable source of energy to light homes, pump clean water, and power small businesses.
This is a boutique event with a strictly limited capacity. We have 80 places available and these will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. You can sign up as an individual or as a team (including a relay team).
To secure your place in our 2019 event:
- Fill in the Registration Form and send it to [email protected]
- Pay the registration fee (payment options are included in the registration form, or use the button below)
Your registration fee of £125 includes:
- An event cycling jersey
- A finisher’s medal
- On Saturday night at Hawkhirst Scout Activity Centre on Kielder Water (shared accommodation with each room sleeping 2-6 people). This also includes dinner, breakfast and two free drinks at the bar
During the ride
- Well-stocked food stops along the route (approx. every 20 miles)
- Full mechanical support along a marked route, a broom wagon and well-equipped support team (including first-aiders)
- Food and drinks at our post-event reception in Edinburgh
We also offer the following optional extras (these fees are in addition to the event registration fee):
- Accommodation in Durham on Friday 7 June (at the Highfield or Chilton Hotels, both are located less than 2 miles from the start) – £60. Perfect for those who are not based in the Durham area and who need somewhere to stay the night before the event
- Accommodation in Edinburgh on Sunday 9 June (at the Travelodge Edinburgh Central, located within walking distance of the finish line and reception venue) – £65. Perfect for those who are not based in the Edinburgh area, allowing you to enjoy your post-event evening celebration with fellow participants.
- Return transport for you and your bike back to Durham on Sunday 9 June (departing from Edinburgh at approx. 8:30pm – N.B. we have a limited number of places available) – £35. Perfect for those who need to return to Durham on Sunday evening (weekend parking is available at the start line on request).
In addition, we can arrange the following transfers (pricing for these is on request):
- Transfer from Durham train station to the hotel on Friday 7 June
- Transfer from the hotel to the start on Saturday 8 June
- Transfer from the finish line to Edinburgh train station on Sunday 9 June
Please indicate on your registration form if you would like to take advantage of one or more of these optional extras. You can also pay for them using the registration fee button above.
- Day 1: East Rainton to Kielder Water, total distance 111.8 miles (179.9 km), total ascent 8,138 ft. (2,480 metres)
- Day 2: Kielder Water to Edinburgh, total distance 104.3 miles (167.8 km), total ascent 5,827 ft. (1,776 metres)
Explore the route in our two route flyover videos, or as plotted on Ride with GPS below.
If you have any questions or would like any further information about the event, contact our Events Team or download the event Information Pack.
E: [email protected] | T: +44 (0)1273 234 801
You can also watch or read what some of our previous participants had to say about the event and their motivations for taking part: Participant Testimonials.
Sponsor this event
Earth Wind & Tyre could not happen without the support offered by our generous Corporate Sponsors.
If you are interested in sponsoring our 2019 event, visit our dedicated Corporate Sponsorship Page to find out more. Alternatively pick up the phone and call us for an informal chat on: +44 (0)1273 234 801. Or drop our UK Events and Fundraising Officer, Emily Jesshope, an email: [email protected].
Earth Wind & Tyre 2019 is proudly sponsored by
Food Stop Sponsors
All photos courtesy of Shahid Chohan Photography.
Shortlisted for Best Use of Events at the National Fundraising Awards 2018