Earth Wind & Tyre
- What: A two-day road cycling event
- Where: Durham to Edinburgh, UK
- Distance: 216 miles (you can choose to cycle the whole route or form a relay team)
- Registration fee: £99 early bird rate, £125 standard registration fee
- Minimum fundraising pledge: £500 (per participant)
Earth Wind & Tyre will be back in June 2021
After five wonderfully successful years of putting on this event, it’s time to take a year off. There will therefore be no Earth Wind & Tyre taking place in 2020 and the event will resume in June 2021.
The exact date for our 2021 event will be announced summer 2020. If you want to be among the first to be notified of the latest news and developments around our 2021 event, send us an expression of interest using the button below
In the meantime, explore the information below to find out more about the event, the route and the registration fee.
2 Days, 11 Wind Farms, 216 Miles
Earth Wind & Tyre is a two-day, 216-mile, wind-themed cycle challenge. Now in its fifth year, this event brings together teams and individuals from across the renewable energy industry and beyond to raise funds for our work.
In celebration of clean energy, the route passes by 11 iconic wind farms as it winds its way up from Durham to Edinburgh. With leg-testing climbs and euphoric views, it’s a truly spectacular event for all involved.
Cycling for change
Earth Wind & Tyre is the perfect opportunity for you to test your cycling ability, whilst at the same time having a positive impact on other people’s lives. Every penny that you raise while taking part in our cycle challenge will help us increase access to clean, affordable and sustainable energy. Your support will help (em)power communities forward and create brighter futures in Nepal and Kenya.
Your registration fee includes:
- An event cycling jersey
- A finisher’s medal
- Overnight accommodation at Hawkhirst Scout Activity Centre on Kielder Water (shared accommodation with each room sleeping 2-6 people). This also includes dinner, breakfast and two free drinks at the bar
During the ride
- Well-stocked food stops along the route (approx. every 20 miles)
- Full mechanical support along a marked route, a broom wagon and well-equipped support team (including first-aiders)
- Food and drinks at our post-event reception in Edinburgh
We also offer the following optional extras (these fees are in addition to the event registration fee):
- Accommodation in Durham (at the Highfield or Chilton Hotels, both are located less than 2 miles from the start) – £60. Perfect for those who are not based in the Durham area and who need somewhere to stay the night before the event
- Accommodation in Edinburgh (at the Travelodge Edinburgh Central, located within walking distance of the finish line and reception venue) – £65. Perfect for those who are not based in the Edinburgh area, allowing you to enjoy your post-event evening celebration with fellow participants.
- Return transport for you and your bike back to Durham (departing from Edinburgh at approx. 8:30pm on day 2 of the event – N.B. we have a limited number of places available) – £35. Perfect for those who need to return to Durham on Sunday evening (weekend parking is available at the start line on request).
In addition, we can arrange the following transfers (pricing for these is on request):
- Transfer from Durham train station to the hotel
- Transfer from the Durham hotel to the start
- Transfer from the finish line to Edinburgh train station
- Day 1: East Rainton to Kielder Water, total distance 111.8 miles (179.9 km), total ascent 8,138 ft. (2,480 metres)
- Day 2: Kielder Water to Edinburgh, total distance 104.3 miles (167.8 km), total ascent 5,827 ft. (1,776 metres)
Explore the route in our two route flyover videos, or as plotted on Ride with GPS below.
If you have any questions or would like any further information about the event, contact our Events Team or download the 2019 event Information Pack.
E: [email protected] | T: +44 (0)1273 234 801
You can also watch or read what some of our previous participants had to say about the event and their motivations for taking part: Participant Testimonials.
Sponsor this event
Earth Wind & Tyre could not happen without the support offered by our generous Corporate Sponsors.
If you are interested in sponsoring our 2021 event, visit our dedicated Corporate Sponsorship Page to find out more. Alternatively pick up the phone and call us for an informal chat on: +44 (0)1273 234 801. Or drop our Fundraising and Events Manager, Emily Jesshope, an email: [email protected].
Past sponsors of Earth Wind & Tyre have included
All photos courtesy of Shahid Chohan Photography.
Shortlisted for Best Use of Events at the National Fundraising Awards 2018