Work With Us
We are always keen to work with like-minded people who share our passion for sustainable development. Though we don’t often have staff vacancies, there are occasionally new roles to fill and any positions (both paid and voluntary) we have available will be advertised below.
Volunteer Designer for our Christmas E-Card Campaign
Reporting To: UK Events and Fundraising Officer
Location: Remote working
Salary: Unpaid voluntary position
Duration: This is a one-off project to submit 1 or more deisgns
Application Deadline: 05/12/2019
How to Apply: Email: [email protected]
Would you like the opportunity to design fantastic new festive designs for Renewable World’s Christmas e-cards? Successful e-card designs will be available on our website for our corporate supporters to select their designs and donation level and send to clients, staff and stakeholders.
Volunteering with us is a great way to support our work, which tackles poverty in developing countries by enabling the provision of affordable renewable energy systems for energy-poor communities. Access to affordable and reliable energy services is critical in empowering energy-poor people to lift themselves out of poverty.
Perhaps you are an art or design student looking to gain more experience or a new designer who has recently launched their business. Or maybe you are a seasoned professional designer who would like to donate their time to Renewable World. Creating new designs for our Christmas e-cards could provide great experience of working to a client’s brief and your designs could get exposure on our website and emailed out to our corporate supporters’ contacts.
Our Christmas e-card campaign is our way of raising extra funds during the season of giving. Every year we approach our corporate supporters in the renewable energy industry and ask them to donate money to help provide rural communities in the developing world with clean energy for sustainable livelihoods. In return we give them a renewable energy themed Christmas e-card to send in place of traditional paper cards.
Last year’s Christmas card campaign raised over £12k (£12,842). Good e-card designs really can help us raise vital funds to support our work in developing countries.
We offer a series of designs, all of which can be modified with a logo and personal message. By sending the e-cards, companies can express their support of Renewable World as well as a strong commitment to lifting people out of poverty through the provision of clean energy.
The theme for our Christmas cards is Renewable Energy at Christmas.
We are looking for designers to create new Christmas card designs in order to refresh our current selection of designs for this year’s e-card campaign. We would like you to create a design, which includes renewable technology such as solar, wind (offshore and onshore), water pumps and biogas digesters or that have a strong ‘green’ theme or message. We would also like the designs to be cheerful and festive!
We are happy to consider a range of styles, including; collage, hand-drawn, painted and mixed media designs, but it must be possible to translate the design into a digital image, with digital text included. The designs will need to be available in an editable digital format (we need to be able to edit the text and to insert a company logo), ideally as PSD files.
This year, we are also interested in a moving image/animated design, which will add even more variety to the designs we offer.
The cards will need to include the Renewable World logo, which will be provided along with our brand guidelines.
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to add to your existing design portfolio
- The chance to make a real contribution to supporting our life-changing work
- The opportunity to see how much money your design raises for Renewable World.
Please get in touch to register your interest and find out more details by emailing: [email protected] You can also contact us on: 01273 234 801
Please apply as soon as possible, and the deadline is Thursday 5 December.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Programme Development & Partnerships Manager- Sub-Saharan Africa
Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: UK/East Africa Flexible
Salary: Circa £50,000 subject to experience
Duration: 2 Year Contract
Application Deadline: 08/08/2019
How to Apply: [email protected]
Renewable World are looking for a passionate development professional, to create and fund a sub-Saharan programme. This role will be critical to meeting the programme’s global goals, building strategic partnerships, identifying aligned funding opportunities, and utilising and adapting concepts and core business models already in place. Our aim is to have over 25,000 additional African beneficiaries of our programme by 2022.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of our global management team and report to the CEO.
Enthusiasm and tenacity will be essential. Being a small global organisation, the individual will get involved in the details and be ‘hands on’ as well as be required to support the global team to deliver a wider strategy.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead on programmatic business development, building partnerships with aligned organisations to form consortia to grow the programme pipeline focusing initially around Lake Victoria
- Maintain the quality of programme delivery and build on the core strengths of business model development and sustainability
- Lead to achieve organisational vision and goal within the region
- To ensure statutory compliance with regional operating requirements and law
- Reporting and communication
Terms and Conditions
As specified above plus:
Hours of Work: Full time 2 year contract, 37.5 hours per week over 5 days. Some weekends will need to be worked and will be reimbursed as time off in lieu. No overtime payments available.
Location UK or East Africa, expectation of 40% international travel.
Annual Leave: 27 days holiday per annum (including 3 days over Christmas period) plus national holidays. Additional leave accrues on service.
Benefits: 6% Employer pension contribution,
Salary: Circa £50,000
- Master’s degree in relevant field;
- Minimum 5 years’ prior experience working at a senior level within the development sector, ideally within an INGO; or a relevant commercial or social enterprise
- Experience in developing programme concepts and bid-writing is essential;
- Fundraising through large bi-lateral funding bids, and developing strategic partnerships;
- Experience of managing the delivering bi-lateral funded projects;
- Experience in implementing community or participatory programmes from design to implementation and evaluation;
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa and East Africa is desirable;
- International business or development experience is essential;
- Fluency in oral and written English;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to facilitate workshops;
- Ability to represent RW in high-level meetings with donors, and government officials;
- Willingness to travel frequently within the region;
- Please send a CV and a covering letter explaining why you are a good fit for the role with reference to the person specification
- Application deadline: 8th August 2019
- Interviews: Held in person or over Skype over two stages for successful candidates in weeks from 10th August
Trustee – International development fundraising
Reporting To: Chair of Trustees
Application Deadline: 31/07/2019
How to Apply: [email protected]
Renewable World Trustee International development fundraising
Renewable World is an international charity tackling poverty through renewable energy. We work with local partners in East Africa and South Asia to provide renewable energy systems (e.g. solar and biogas) to remote communities in the developing world.
The next three years will be both exciting and challenging for the organisation as it plans to significantly scale up its programme to reach a greater number of beneficiaries in vulnerable communities. Our global goal is to enable 100,000 out of poverty by 2022 through the delivery of our renewable energy programme.
Our small staff team is passionate about empowering people to change their lives whilst also addressing environmental threats such as climate change.
There are currently opportunities for a new Trustee to join the nine current Trustees on Renewable World’s Board. We are particularly seeking candidates with strong expertise and experience in one or more of the following areas, in priority order:
- Institutional (or similar) fundraising experience and expertise
- International development in the voluntary sector
- International programme delivery
All will be suitably qualified, ideally have Board or similar experience, with a proven passion for environmental issues/renewable energy. More information can be found by visiting http://www.renewable-world.org/about-us/our-trustees
This role is unpaid and requires an active commitment including quarterly face to face meetings in London plus engagement in the work of board subcommittees (supported predominantly by conference calls) and a willingness to travel to Brighton or other parts of the country on occasion to attend meetings with staff and funders.
Applications close on Please send a CV with a supporting statement up to 200 words to [email protected] We will contact you to arrange an interview if you are shortlisted.
The Board is committed to increasing the diversity of its membership and welcomes applications from individuals across all sections of society.
Renewable World is a registered charity (no 1119467) and registered company (no 06005778) in England and Wales
Chair of Trustees (UK Board)
Reporting To: Board of Trustees
Location: Flexible but must travel to UK frequently
Application Deadline: 31/10/2019
How to Apply: [email protected]
Since 2007, Renewable World has worked with local partners in Africa, Asia and Central America, testing pioneering new ways in which renewable energy can transform the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities.
Our small global team are passionate about empowering people whilst also delivering against multiple Sustainable Development Goals, including Affordable and Clean Energy and Climate Action.
The provision of energy and water in an environmentally sustainable manner are huge challenges in the developing world. In many such countries only a small proportion of the population has access to the electricity grid, and the poorest members of the community rely on expensive alternatives which are both heavily polluting and injurious to health. Effective partnerships between NGOs, local communities, devolved government and private suppliers are required to reach the energy-less in these remote areas. This is where Renewable World places itself as a vital conduit to sustainable clean energy access.
Renewable World provides electricity and water in these challenging situations. We have supplied 3 500 households with clean energy and pumped over 450 million litres of water for drinking and irrigation to 84 communities across South Asia, East Africa and Central America, impacting on the lives of 40 thousand people. We are now working towards a strategic goal of 100 thousand beneficiaries by 2022 and must
As our current Chair will stand down in November 2019 after five years on the Board of Trustees, we are seeking to appoint a new Chair to lead us in taking forward this challenge. Working closely with the Board and senior management they will play a pivotal role in growing the organisation whilst ensuring its financial sustainability.
We are seeking a strategic minded individual with an ability to inspire others. You will be comfortable with elevating the profile of the charity, with leadership experience in the public, private or voluntary sector and experience of delivering effective governance. Ideally you will also be familiar with the role of a Non-Executive Director / Trustee.
We are seeking candidates who can also demonstrate strong skills/expertise/experience in the following areas:
- ability to mobilise a network of philanthropic contacts, both personal and within Renewable World
- strong communication skills with the ability to represent the charity externally at the highest levels, and ensure that the safeguarding and openness remain central tenets of the charity
- ability to Chair, lead and inspire the Board to achieve and extend the goals of the organisation
- ability to support, challenge, mentor and work in partnership with the Chief Executive,
- strong understanding of and attention to financial detail
This role is unpaid and requires an active commitment including quarterly face to face Board Meetings in London and more frequent conference calls (e.g. regular call with CEO; monthly and/or bimonthly board committee meetings). You must also be willing to travel to Brighton or other parts of the country on occasion to attend ad-hoc meetings with staff and funders.
Applications, which should include a CV with a supporting statement of up to 200 words, should be sent to Sarah Donnelly, Vice-Chair of Renewable World to [email protected]
Closing date: 31st October 2019 Renewable World is a registered charity (no 1119467) and registered company (no 06005778) in England and Wales.