Work With Us
We are always keen to work with like-minded people who share our passion for sustainable development. Though we don’t often have staff vacancies, there are occasionally new roles to fill and any positions (both paid and voluntary) we have available will be advertised below.
Reporting To: Chair of Trustees
Application Deadline: 07/04/2019
How to Apply: [email protected]
Renewable World is an international charity tackling poverty through renewable energy. We work with local partners in East Africa and South Asia to provide renewable energy systems (e.g. solar and biogas) to remote communities in the developing world.
The next three years will be both exciting and challenging for the organisation as it plans to significantly scale up its programme to reach a greater number of beneficiaries in vulnerable communities. Our global goal is to enable 100,000 out of poverty by 2022 through the delivery of our renewable energy programme.
Our small staff team is passionate about empowering people to change their lives whilst also addressing environmental threats such as climate change.
There are currently opportunities for a new Trustee to join the nine current Trustees on Renewable World’s Board. We are particularly seeking candidates with strong expertise and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Brand development.
- Developing a communications and marketing strategy, particularly digital, at a senior level.
- Track record of supporting income through communication strategies.
The trustee would be expected to work closely with the Head of Fundraising and Communications.
Attendance at four Board meetings in London and 6-9 telephone Committee meetings per year would be expected.
Please apply with your CV and a supporting statement.
Chair of Trustees (UK Board)
Reporting To: Board of Trustees
Location: Flexible but must travel to UK frequently
Application Deadline: 03/05/2019
How to Apply: [email protected]
Since 2008, Renewable World has worked with local partners in Africa, Asia and Central America to bring clean, sustainable energy supplies to some of the world’s poorest communities. At the end of 2018, the total number of beneficiaries of our programmes was almost 40,000. We have set ourselves the target of increasing this to 100,000 by 2022. The coming years will be both exciting and challenging for the organisation as it significantly scales up its programmes to reach this target.
We recognise that, in the longer term, elimination of energy poverty will not be achieved by predominantly grant funding to the current level required to provide affordable renewable energy to the communities we serve. The key challenge will be to work in productive partnership with governments and the private sector to effect, over time, a transformation to more effective systems providing affordable energy with no further need for grant funding. This will need improvements to technology and the supply chain, together with different ways of financing and owning projects.
Our small staff team are passionate about empowering people to change their lives whilst also addressing environmental threats such as climate change.
Our current Chair has decided to stand down in November 2019 after five years on the Board of Trustees. We are thus seeking to appoint a new Chair to lead our Board. Working closely with both the Board and the senior management the appointee will play a pivotal role in growing the organisation and ensuring its financial sustainability. It is essential that the Chair has a high level of personal credibility, both internally and externally, demonstrating commitment to Renewable World’s values and strategic aims, sharing our drive and ambition to change lives and improve livelihoods.
We are seeking a strategic minded individual with an ability to inspire others. You will be comfortable with elevating the profile of the charity. You will have substantive leadership experience at Board level in the public, private or voluntary sector and significant experience of delivering effective governance. Ideally you will also be familiar with the role of Non-Executive/Trustee.
We are seeking candidates who can also demonstrate strong skills/expertise/experience in the following areas:
- ability to mobilise a current network of contacts, both personal and existing Renewable World, within influential private and public institutions, and/or private individuals to provide institutional and/or philanthropic support to the charity,
- the ability to build, develop and manage a strong team, valuing, encouraging and acknowledging the different contributions from the various team members in a safe environment where the issues may be discussed fully and openly,
- strong communication skills with the ability to represent the charity externally at the highest levels as required,
- ability to Chair, lead and inspire the Board of Trustees to achieve and extend the goals of the organisation,
- ability to support, challenge, act as professional mentor to and work in partnership with the Chief Executive,
- strong understanding of and attention to financial detail, particularly for fundraising and programme management.
This role is unpaid and requires an active commitment including quarterly face to face Board Meetings in London and more frequent conference calls (e.g. weekly call with CEO; monthly and/or bimonthly board committee meetings). You must also be willing to travel to Brighton or other parts of the country on occasion to attend ad-hoc meetings with staff and funders.
Applications, which should include a CV with a supporting statement of up to 200 words, should be sent to Matt Stubberfield [email protected]
Closing date: May 2019.
Renewable World is a registered charity (no 1119467) and registered company (no 06005778) in England and Wales
Events and Fundraising Assistant
Reporting To: UK Events and Fundraising Officer
Salary: £18,000 - £20,000 per annum pro-rata (depending on experience)
Duration: 3 days per week, for 1 year (full-time during Earth Wind & Tyre build up and event), potential for extension of contract
Application Deadline: 03/03/2019
How to Apply: Send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] (candidates that do not include a cover letter explaining why they feel they are well suited to this post will not be considered). Application Deadline: 20:00 on Monday 24 September 2018
Events and Fundraising Assistant
We are looking for a highly organised and motivated individual to join our fundraising team as an Events and Fundraising Assistant. You will work closely with the UK Events and Fundraising Officer to support the planning and delivery of our flagship cycling event, Earth Wind & Tyre, you will also lead on the delivery of our portfolio of other challenge, gala and community fundraising events.
This role is a new and exciting position that will allow us to grow and develop our portfolio of fundraising events. It is also an exciting time to be supporting Earth Wind & Tyre, as we gear up to deliver our 5th anniversary event. You will get involved in all aspects of organising and delivering this boutique and highly successful challenge event, including being part of our on the road support team during the event.
This job would be ideal for someone who is looking to take a step up from an administrative role, or for a candidate who is looking to develop in the events or fundraising sector. The successful candidate will be highly organised, creative and flexible, with exceptional attention to detail; they will work with drive, enthusiasm and a passion to succeed. We are also looking for someone with demonstrable work experience in a relevant role, which includes at least some of the below role responsibilities.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Earth Wind & Tyre Flagship Challenge Event Support (60%): your main focus in this role will be to support the planning, promotion and delivery of this boutique cycling event, ensuring we meet income targets and achieve satisfaction from participants and sponsors.
- Other Challenge Events Portfolio Management (20%): develop and manage the existing portfolio of charity challenge events such as bike rides, runs and swims, ensuring we meet income targets.
- Gala and Community Fundraising Events Portfolio Management (15%): manage Renewable World’s current commitments to run and support the raffle at the Scottish Green Energy Awards (Gala Event) and our community fundraising portfolio.
- General Administration (5%): supporting general office administration.
Download the full Job Spec
Please view/download the full Job Description for further information on the duties and responsibilities required in this role, as well as the personal specification.
How to apply
Candidates must apply with their CV and cover letter. Please send you application to [email protected]. Candidates that do not include a cover letter explaining why they feel they are well suited to this post will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Sunday 3 March 2019
Interviews: will be held on Wednesday 6th March 2019 (at our Brighton office)
ASAP (no later than beginning of April 2019)